BALL STATE RELEASE
Ball State (16-9, 7-5 MAC) at Akron (11-13, 4-8 MAC)
Tuesday, Feb. 13 (7 p.m.)
Akron, Ohio (James A. Rhodes Arena)
Watch (ESPN3) | Listen (WLBC) |
About the Cardinals
- Ball State looks for a third straight win over a MAC East Division opponent when the Cardinals visit Akron for the second meeting this season. The Cardinals defeated the Zips 111-106 in double-overtime Jan. 27 in the highest-scoring game in Worthen Arena history.
- Ball State has won four of its past five games and is tied for second place in the MAC West Division and third in the overall league standings at 7-5 in conference play. With six games left, Buffalo and Toledo lead the way at 10-2, while BSU is tied with Western Michigan at 7-5.
- The Cardinals beat Kent State 87-68 Saturday for their first victory over the Golden Flashes since 2005. BSU has snapped long series losing streaks to Kent State (15 games), Akron (15) and Ohio (8) this year and has defeated all three in the same season for the first time since 1998.
- Junior center Trey Moses is leading Ball State in conference play in both scoring (14.3 ppg) and rebounding (9.0 rpg). Moses is averaging 17.6 points per game over the past five contests — the highest-scoring five-game stretch of his career — and tied his career high with 22 points Friday against Kent State. His rebounding average ranks third in the MAC.
- Senior guard Sean Sellers needs just four 3-pointers to equal Jesse Berry’s Ball State career record of 224. Sellers has made at least one 3 in every game but two this season and is shooting 44.1 percent from beyond the arc in conference play.
- Junior point guard Tayler Persons has hit three game-winning 3-pointers in the final four seconds this season, most recently last Tuesday against Bowling Green. Three other times, he has scored the go-ahead or game-tying points in the final 20 seconds.
- Akron snapped a four-game losing streak Saturday with a 69-63 win over Central Michigan.
- The Zips are 11-2 at home this season and 4-2 in MAC home games.
- Akron makes 9.8 3-pointers per game and ranks fourth in the league at 36.2 percent from beyond the arc as a team.
- Sophomore forward Daniel Utomi leads the Zips with 15.6 points and 6.0 rebounds per game.
- Junior guard Jimond Ivey is the team’s leading scorer in MAC play at 15.5 per game, including a Worthen Arena-record 48 points in the first meeting with Ball State this season.
- Akron is playing its first season under former Ohio and Illinois head coach John Groce. The Zips won a second straight MAC regular season championship last year but returned just four letterwinners and one starter from that squad.
- Ball State trails 23-16 in the all-time series with Akron and 13-5 in road games against the Zips.
- In the Jan. 27 meeting this year, the Cardinals defeated the Zips for the first time since 2004 behind 26-point performances from Tahjai Teague and Tayler Persons and a 22-point effort from Trey Moses.
- BSU is now looking for its first road win over Akron since 2004.
- Teague is averaging 16.7 points over three career games against the Zips. His 26 points in this year’s first meeting were a career high.