Senior guard Desmond Bane scored a team-high 26 points to lead the TCU men’s basketball team to a 83-62 win over Southwestern University Thursday night inside Schollmaier Arena to begin the 2019-20 season.
TCU improved to 72-37 all-time in season openers and 58-13 in home openers. The Frogs shot 52.3 percent from the field in the game, while holding Southwestern to 40.0 percent and forcing 20 turnovers on defense.
TCU jumped out to an early 8-3 lead, making its first three shots off an RJ Nembhard layup and back-to-back 3-pointers by Bane. TCU would later stretch its lead to 26-13. Sophomore Kevin Samuel was also extremely efficient in the first half, shooting 7-of-8 from the field. He tied a career high with 17 points on 8-of-10 shooting and finished with 12 rebounds for his fifth-career double-double.
After Southwestern carried an 8-0 run over from the end of the first half to the beginning of the second, the Frogs countered, going on a 15-0 run in just over four minutes of play. TCU, which led by as many as 22 points, pulled away from the Pirates in the second half.
Four Frogs scored in double figures in the victory. Bane led the scoring effort on 10-16 shooting, including a mark of 50 percent from beyond the arc.
Nembhard contributed 14 points, one off his career best, and tied for the team lead with five assists. Freshmen Diante Smith and Francisco Farabello each made their collegiate debuts in the starting lineup. Farabello dished out five assists and had no turnovers in 26 minutes of playing time.
Jaire Grayer and Edric Dennis both scored their first points as Horned Frogs. Grayer totaled 13 points and Dennis finished with nine. PJ Fuller recorded his first collegiate action in the game, coming off the bench and scoring four points.
TCU hosts the Louisiana Ragin’ Cajuns on Tuesday at 7 p.m. in Schollmaier Arena. It will be broadcast on FOX Sports Southwest.
– With the win, TCU improved to 72-37 in season openers all-time and 4-0 under Jamie Dixon including a 58-13 mark when playing the season opener on its home court.
– Dixon improved to 17-0 all-time in season openers.
– TCU improved to 4-2 all-time against Southwestern.
– Tonight’s game marked TCU’s first meeting against Southwestern since Nov. 29, 1983. TCU won that game 82-81 in two overtimes as freshman Jamie Dixon scored his first career points in his second career game.
– Under Dixon, the Frogs moved to 37-4 when shooting 50 percent or better from the field.
– The Horned Frogs forced 20 turnovers, their most turnovers forced since Feb. 26, 2019 when TCU forced 24 turnovers at West Virginia.
– The Frogs recorded 10 steals, marking the 20th time in the Dixon era TCU reached double digits in steals. The Frogs are 17-3 in such games.
– TCU had 12 players see action, the most since Dec. 23, 2018 against Bucknell.
– TCU had seven players earn their first minutes as a Horned Frog with five of them true or redshirt freshmen.
– Desmond Bane paced the Frogs with 26 points on 10-of-16 shooting from the floor and 5-of-10 from 3-point-range, moving him into 14th place all-time on TCU’s scoring leaderboard with 1,279. He passed Malcolm Johnson who scored 1,272 in two seasons.
– Bane’s 26 points was his 12th career scoring output of at least 20 points.
– Bane added three steals, his most steals in a game since he tied his career-high with four steals in TCU’s win over Oklahoma State in the Phillips 66 Big 12 Championship on Mar. 13, 2019.
– Kevin Samuel totalled 17 points and 12 rebounds en route to his fifth career double-double.
– Samuel’s 12 rebounds tied for his second-highest total in a game. He has recorded 12 rebounds in back-to-back games dating back to last season’s NIT semifinal game against Texas on April 2.
– Samuel also added four blocks, moving him into a tie for eighth on TCU’s all-time blocked shots leaderboard with 81 career blocks. The four blocks were also his most in a game since March 26 of last year when he recorded five against Creighton.
– In his collegiate debut, point guard Francisco Farabello recorded five assists and did not commit a turnover.
– Edric Dennis in his TCU debut scored nine points, dished out four assists, and recorded three steals.
– Dennis’ three steals were his most since Nov. 10, 2018 against Northern Iowa while he was a member of the UT-Arlington basketball team.
– PJ Fuller scored his first collegiate points on a fast break layup in the second half to put the Frogs up by 20.
– Dylan Arnette, Jaire Grayer, Anthony Lucenti, and Diante Smith also made their collegiate debuts, with Diante Smith earning a start.