FORT WORTH, Texas – JD Miller hit a game-winning shot to give TCU its eighth-straight Big 12 home win with a 70-68 victory over Oklahoma State Wednesday.
Miller’s 10-footer capped off a memorable night as Alex Robinson became the school’s all-time assist leader and Desmond Bane surpassed 1,000 points.
TCU (16-6, 4-5) led the entire first half with the help of nine 3-pointers, the most in a single half all season. Bane supplied the damage from beyond-the-arc going 5-for-6 from three to lead the Frogs into the locker room with a 39-28 lead.
The Frogs led by as much as 13 early in the second half but Oklahoma State (9-13, 2-7) went on a 17-2 run to take a 57-50 with 5:28 remaining. The Frogs countered with a 9-3 run to make it a one-point game, 60-59, with 3:40 to play.
With 1:20 left in the game, Miller made 1-of-2 from the free throw line. TCU got the rebound from the Miller miss and Bane made a layup to give TCU the lead, 66-65. With the Frogs leading by three, OSU’s Thomas Dziagwa then hit an acrobatic three in the corner to tie the game with 5.6 seconds left setting the stage for Miller’s game-winning shot.
Miller finished with 11 points and nine rebounds. Bane tied his season high with 26 points. Kouat Noi finished with 12 points with all of his points coming from 3-point range (4-of-10). Robinson also recorded his seventh double-double of the season scoring 10 points and tallying 11 assists.
TCU will head to Ames for a matchup with No. 17 Iowa State at 1 p.m. Saturday on ESPNU.
– The Horned Frogs improved to 11-1 at home this season. It was TCU’s eighth-straight win at home.
– TCU improved to 40-10 overall and 14-8 in Big 12 games at Schollmaier Arena under Jamie Dixon.
– TCU earned its third consecutive victory over Oklahoma State.
– The Frogs improved to 11-3 this season when winning the opening tip and 37-9 in the Jamie Dixon era.
– TCU set a season high in 3-pointers in a half with nine. Its previous high was seven, which happened three times, most recently vs. West Virginia.
– TCU outrebounded Oklahoma State 34-31 and improved to 13-3 this season, 55-15 under Dixon, 63-16 over the last three seasons when outrebounding its opponent.
– With 11 assists, Alex Robinson passed Corey Santee (575) to become the all-time leader in assists at TCU with 583.
– Robinson also scored 10 points in the game, giving him his seventh double-double of the season and 10th of his career, and moving him to 34th on the all-time TCU scoring list with 1,017 career points.
– Robinson also added three steals, and has recorded a steal in 16 of 19 games this season.
– Desmond Bane scored a team-high 26 points, becoming the 37th player in school history to eclipse 1,000 with 1,019. Bane scored his 1,000th point on the 575th assist of Robinson’s career, the assist that matched Santee’s school record. His 26 points also tied a season high, which last happened Jan. 15 against West Virginia.
– TCU improved to 8-0 when Bane leads the team in scoring.
– Bane finished with double-digit points for the 16th time this season. TCU improves to 42-12 all-time in games where Bane scores at least 10 points.
– Bane made each of his first five attempts from 3-point range and finished 6-of-9.
– JD Miller added 11 points, giving him 988 for his career, 12 away from becoming the 38th Horned Frog with 1,000.
– Miller played in the 125th game of his career, tying him for fifth all-time on the TCU games played list with Femi Ibikunle (2004-07).
– Kouat Noi sunk a 3-pointer for the 21st consecutive game. He entered the game one of nine major conference players with at least one made three in 20-straight games.
– After scoring 12 points, Noi has scored in double figures in 16 of the 18 games he has played this season. The Frogs improved to 12-4 in those games.
– Kevin Samuel recorded four blocks, giving him multiple blocks in six of his last eight games.