CARMEL, Ind. – The Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference (HCAC) cross country teams competed in week two of the 2021 season.
Athletes of the Week:
Men’s Athlete of the Week:
Ethan Weston (Louisville, Ky.) Hanover College | Sophomore – Weston ran an impressive race on Saturday as he dominated the seven-team field at the Hanover Invitational, winning the race in a time of 19:47.9. The first-year helped propel the Panthers to a fourth-place finish overall.
Women’s Athlete of the Week:
Haley Makowski (Osceloa, Ind.) Franklin College | First-Year – Makowski took fifth place individually for the Grizzly women at the Hanover Invitational on Saturday, finishing the 5K race in 20:46.0 to lead all HCAC runners.
- Austin Burt (Warrensburg, Mo.) Earlham College | Senior – Burt helped the Quakers finish in fourth place behind DePauw, Denison and Wilmington (OH) this past weekend at the Wittenberg Invitational. Burt finished the 6k race in sixth place with a time of 26:53.6 and an average mile time of 5:24.7
- John Asplund (Bloomington, Ind.) Franklin College | First-Year – In his first career 6K race, Asplund finished third overall at the Hanover Invitational with a time of 19:56.7 as the Grizzlies placed third among all teams.
- Brianna Medcalf (Central, Ind.) Hanover College | Senior – The senior posted a top 10 finish as part of the Hanover Invitational, finishing sixth overall in a time of 20:49.6. She helped lead HC to a third place mark overall.
CARMEL, Ind. – The Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference (HCAC) men’s tennis teams competed in week two of the 2021-22 season.
Athlete of the Week:
Cory Evans (Middletown, Ind.) Anderson University | Junior – Evans went 3-0 on the week. He captured a win at No. 3 singles against Webster’s Matthew Birchmeier by a score of 6-2, 5-7, 1-0 (10-8). Evans then earned a win at No. 4 singles against Greenville’s Austin Burkhart by a score of 7-5, 6-3. In doubles, Cory Evans and Sam Songer def. Webster’s Matthew Birchmeier/Andrew McDonald at No. 2 doubles. The Ravens finished 1-1 on the week. Anderson topped Webster 7-2 and fell to Greenville 4-5.
- Blake Rentscler (Griffith, Ind.) Manchester University | Senior – Rentschler won his No. 3 singles match against Huntington 3-6, 6-2, 1-0 (10-8) on Thursday afternoon.
- Hart Howard (Louisville, Ky.) Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology | Sophomore – Howard led Rose-Hulman with a 1-1 singles record and a 1-1 doubles record at the DePauw Fall Invitational on Sunday.
CARMEL, Ind. – The Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference (HCAC) women’s golf teams competed in week two of the 2021-22 season.
Athlete of the Week:
Rachel Zhang (Walnut, Calif.) Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology | Junior – Zhang won the HCAC Preview for the 3rd consecutive year to help lead Rose-Hulman to the team championship at the event. Zhang recorded scores of 80 and 78 to finish 1st in the 72-player tournament and lead a Fightin’ Engineer sweep of the top 6 finishing positions.
- Haley Gill (Indianapolis, Ind.) Bluffton University | Junior – Gill led the Beavers with a 36-hole school record at the HCAC Preview. She shot an 84 on Sunday giving the junior a 169 for the tournament which was tied for 12th overall. Gill also shot an 85 at Defiance College’s Military Appreciation Invite on Tuesday, giving her rounds of 85-84-85 for the week.
- Maci French (Lebanon, Ind.) Franklin College | Senior – French topped the Franklin leaderboard and finished eighth overall at the HCAC Preview over the weekend. She carded a 165 (80-85) to finish just outside of the top-five overall.
- Taylor Drake (Franklin, Ind.) Hanover College | Junior – Drake paced the Panthers this past weekend as part of the HCAC Preview. The junior finished seventh overall with a combined two round total of 164 strokes.
CARMEL, Ind. – The Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference (HCAC) women’s tennis teams competed in week two of the 2021-22 season.
Athlete of the Week:
Madelyn Brown (Sellersburg, Ind.) Anderson University | Junior – Brown went 4-0 on the week. Against Webster, Brown and Megan Long earned an 8-3 win against Emma Ferguson and Katarina Serbentas at No. 2 doubles. At No. 3 singles, Brown took a 6-3, 6-0 win against Emma Ferguson. Against Greenville, Madelyn Brown and Morgan Nation secured an 8-2 win at No. 2 doubles against Shaling Reynolds/Claudia Principal. Brown then put together 7-5, 6-1 victory at No. 2 singles against Addison Brannon. The Ravens went 1-1 on the week. Webster earned a 5-4 win against Anderson and then Anderson took a 5-4 victory against Greenville.
- Isabelle Roberts (Brownsburg, Ind.) Hanover College | Sophomore – Roberts helped lead the Panthers past Rose-Hulman last week 5-4. The sophomore claimed her No. 2 doubles match 8-5 before dominating No. 3 singles 6-1, 6-3.
- Taylor Goldman (Naperville, Ill.) Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology | Sophomore – Goldman finished 1-1 in singles play and 1-1 in doubles play last week, leading Rose-Hulman’s effort at the No. 1 slots in both disciplines. Taylor won 6-0, 6-0 at No. 1 against Hanover and also teamed up with Breanna Rogers for an 8-2 win at No. 1 doubles vs. the Panthers.
- Porsche Robinson (Houston, Texas) Transylvania University | Senior – In Transylvania’s lone match of the week which doubled as its HCAC opener, Robinson steered the Pioneers to a perfect 9-0 win against the Franklin Grizzlies with her excellence at No. 1 singles and No. 1 doubles. Robinson teamed with Jessica Burton to gain an 8-0 win in No. 1 doubles, and turned around to win 6-2, 6-0 against Franklin’s Emma Foley at the No. 1 singles position. Between singles and doubles play, Robinson dropped just two games over the week.