BLOOMINGTON, Ind. – Indiana baseball (10-8) picked up a pair of wins over Canisius in a doubleheader on Saturday afternoon. The Hoosiers took the first game, 5-2, while winning the second game, 16-5.
GAME 1: INDIANA 5, CANISIUS 2
Behind a stellar eight-inning, 10 strikeout effort from junior Tanner Gordon, the Hoosiers strung together 15 hits, including two home runs from senior Matt Lloyd.
- The Hoosiers got on the board first in the bottom of the second. Sophomore Sam Crail singled in freshman Jake Skrine, who singled, with one out to give IU a 1-0 lead.
- A leadoff double by Jacob Victor set things up for Canisius in the bottom of the fourth. With one out, Stephen Bennett grounded out to third to allow Victor to score, tying the game at one.
- Freshman Grant Richardson led off the bottom of the fourth and was hit by a pitch. Following a single by Crail, Richardson would score later in the frame on a double play groundout to break the tie.
- Lloyd led off the bottom of the fifth with a home run to right center, which was then followed by three-straight singles by junior Ryan Fineman, sophomore Cole Barr and freshman Tyler Van Pelt resulting in another run to make it 4-1.
- Lloyd tagged his second home run of a game in the bottom of the sixth to give Indiana its fifth run.
- The Golden Griffins added a run in the top of the ninth but that would be all resulting in a 5-2 final.
- Gordon set a career-high for strikeouts (10) and innings (8.0), as he allowed just four hits, one run and one walk.
- Lloyd finished the game going 4-for-4 with the two home runs and two RBI. The four hits for Lloyd match his career-high, which he has now reached six times.
- Crail went 3-for-4 with an RBI, as the three hits for him were a career-high.
- Van Pelt finished 2-for-2 with an RBI off the bench.
GAME 2: INDIANA 16, CANISIUS 5
Indiana’s bats opened up for 11 hits in the second stanza of the day’s double header, as the Hoosiers routed Canisius, 16-5.
- The Hoosiers started with a three-spot in the bottom of the first. Junior Matt Gorski hit a leadoff double and sophomore Drew Ashley singled to put runners on the corners. Then with the bases loaded, Crail was credited with two RBI on a single through the right side. A third run would score on the play on an errant throw.
- Indiana plated eight runs in the bottom of the third inning. It was highlighted by a Fineman solo home run, an RBI double by junior Jeremy Houston and an RBI double by Crail to make it an 11-0 game.
- Canisius broke the shutout in the bottom of the fourth with its first run before Indiana tacked on five more runs heading into the ninth inning.
- The Golden Griffins worked three final runs in the ninth frame for the 16-5 final score.
- Alex Franklin (1-0) picked up his first collegiate win following a three-inning, one-hit effort that included two strikeouts.
- Freshman Matt Litwicki also picked up his first milestone with the Hoosiers, as the Dyer, Ind., native picked up save number one from a three-inning close.
- Gorski added to his team-tying lead in home runs (5) with his two-run blast in the fifth inning.
- Sam Crail led the team with three RBI, setting a new season high for the sophomore.
The Hoosiers close out the series with the Golden Griffins at 12:05 p.m. on Sunday.