SETTING THE SCENE
- Indiana will host the team’s first home series of 2020 when the San Diego Toreros come to Bloomington for a three-game set starting on Saturday with a doubleheader starting at 2:05 p.m. ET.
- On Wednesday, the Hoosiers started the 2020 home slate off with a bang, taking down Purdue in a non-conference contest, 17-2.
- Jeff Mercer enters his second season at the helm of the Indiana baseball program after leading the Hoosiers to a Big Ten regular season title in 2019, earning him Big Ten Coach of the Year honors.
- Indiana and San Diego have met 11 times on the diamond, with the Toreros holding a 6-5 record over the Hoosiers.
- The two teams met last season in the Seattle Baseball Showcase on Mar. 10, with USD coming away with a 5-3 victory.
- This weekend’s series will mark the first games the two programs have played in Bloomington.
- Dating back to last season, OF Elijah Dunham has reached base in 28-consecutive games, while INF/OF Drew Ashley has reached base in 20-straight. OF Grant Richardson’s reached base streak sits at 13 games.
HOOSIERS POUND PURDUE
- Indiana opened the 2020 home slate with a 17-2 drubbing of in-state rival Purdue in a non-conference game on Mar. 4, 17-2.
- The 15-run win for Indiana over Purdue was the largest margin of victory for the Hoosiers in the series since Apr. 22, 1961, when Indiana took down the Boilermakers, 19-2, in Bloomington.
- The Hoosiers had a season-high 16 hits in the victory, with nine players totaling at least one hit and nine scoring at least one run.
FUCCI ON FIRE
- Samford transfer Jordan Fucci has been on fire in Indiana’s last four games.
- The senior first baseman is hitting .471 (8-of-17) with four doubles, a home run, 11 RBI and four runs scored.
BEST IN THE BIG TEN
- Since the start of the 2008 season, Indiana leads the Big Ten in total wins (428) and conference wins (178).
- The Hoosiers have made seven NCAA Regionals over that span, the most out of any current Big Ten team.
IN THE NATIONAL POLLS
- Indiana is receiving votes in the NCBWA poll and in the preseason USA Today poll of 31 coaches from across the country.
HOOSIERS EARN ROAD WIN AT NO. 17 EAST CAROLINA
- Indiana earned the team’s third road win over a ranked opponent on Feb. 28, beating No. 17 East Carolina, 11-5, in Greenville, N.C.
- Indiana totaled a then season-high 15 hits and seven extra-base hits in the victory.
SOMMER’S GEM LEADS INDIANA OVER HIGH POINT
- LHP Tommy Sommer was terrific for Indiana in the team’s 5-1 victory over High Point on Feb. 29, pitching a career-best 8.2 innings, striking out five while allowing just one run to earn the win.
- The 8.2 innings pitched from Sommer were the most for a Hoosier since Pauly Milto went the distance in a 6-0 victory over Texas Southern in the Austin Regional on June 2, 2018.