SAN ANTONIO, Texas – 4-seeded Indiana will play in its seventh NCAA Tournament when it faces off against 13-seed VCU on Monday, March 22 at the UTSA Convocation Center. Tipoff is set for 2 p.m. ET on ESPNU.
NO. 4 INDIANA (18-5) VS. NO. 13 VCU (16-12)
Monday, March 22, 2021 • 2 p.m. ET • NCAA Tournament First Round
UTSA Convocation Center • San Antonio, Texas
ABOUT THE RAMS
VCU, the automatic qualifier from the Atlantic 10, enters the tournament having won seven of its last eight dating back to Feb. 18. They are making their second NCAA Tournament appearance all-time, also making the dance in 2009 when it faced Rutgers. They are led by senior guard Taya Robinson’s 14.7 points and 6.0 rebounds per game and senior guard Tera Reed who averages 11.5 points per game. As a team, the Rams are averaging 65.1 points per game.
Indiana leads 2-0
12/22/04 – W, 63-41 (Bloomington, IN)
- The Hoosiers will make their seventh all-time NCAA Tournament appearance on Monday and back-to-back tourney bids for the first time since 2003 and 2004. All-time, IU is 3-6 in the Big Dance and secured its highest ever seed at No. 4 this season.
- Indiana is 2-0 all-time against the Rams coming in to Monday’s first round post-season action. The two teams met in a home-and-away series in 2003-04. This will be the first meeting between them in the postseason.
- Sophomore forward Mackenzie Holmes became the program’s first Associated Press All-American honorable mention on March 17. The Gorham, Maine native is averaging a team-high 18.2 points, 7.7 rebounds, 2.9 blocks and shoots 60.3 percent from the floor and earned All-Big Ten First Team honors as well.
- Also highlighting the Hoosiers this season are all All-Big Ten selections Grace Berger (15.3 ppg.), senior guard Ali Patberg (13.9 ppg.) and junior forward Aleksa Gulbe (9.5 ppg.).
- IU is coming off another historic regular season where it finished a program-high second in the Big Ten and won 16 league games which also set a school record.
The winner of Monday’s matchup faces the winner of No. 5 Gonzaga and No. 12 Belmont in the second round with a time and date TBD.