INDIANA WBB: Regular Season Opens On Thursday Night For No. 24 Indiana Versus Mount St. Mary’s
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. – The regular season tips off on Thursday night at Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall as No. 24 Indiana welcomes Mount St. Mary’s.
#24/RV Indiana (0-0) vs. Mount St. Mary’s (0-1)
Thursday, November 7, 2019 • 7 p.m. ET
Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall • Bloomington, Ind.
ABOUT THE MOUNTAINEERS
The Mount arrives in Bloomington after dropping their season opener at No. 13 Kentucky on Tuesday night, 67-44. Junior guard Jatarrikah Settle had 10 points for the Mountaineers in the loss as they shot just 27.8 percent on the night. They were selected to finish third in the Northeast Conference this season and return 11 players from last year’s 15-16 campaign behind NEC All-Rookie selection guard Michaela Harrison and leading rebounder junior center Rebecca Lee also returns for Mount St. Mary’s.
- Indiana opens up its 48thseason of women’s basketball on Thursday night.
- The Hoosiers are 35-12 all-time in season openers, winning all six under sixth year head coach Teri Moren.
- In its only exhibition game, Indiana defeated Division II McKendree, 109-43, on Sunday afternoon. Seven players scored in double figures behind 20 points from sophomore forward Aleksa Gulbe.
- Indiana opens up the season as the No. 24 team in the nation in the Associated Press preseason Top 25. They are also receiving votes in the USA Today/WBCA Coaches poll.
- They were also picked to finish third (media)/fourth (coaches) in the Big Ten preseason polls.
- In addition to All-Big Ten honors, Patberg has pulled in a variety of nominations to national awards watch lists. The Columbus, Ind. native is one of 20 point guards on the Nancy Lieberman Award preseason watch list, a Wooden Award Preseason Top 30 candidate and is on the Women’s Citizen Naismith Trophy Watch List Top 50.
- The Hoosiers went 21-13 overall in 2018-19 and advanced to the NCAA Tournament second round. They defeated five teams with Top 50 RPIs and took down two Top 15 teams for the first time since 2002-
- Patberg leads a group of four starters that return for the 2019-20 season. She led the way with 15.8 points, 5.0 rebounds and 4.8 assists per game as an All-Big Ten second team selection in 2018-19. All-Big Ten picks Jaelynn Penn (13.9 ppg.) and Brenna Wise (12.0 ppg, 6.8 rpg.) are also back while junior guard Bendu Yeaney continues to rehab a torn Achilles suffered in the NCAA Tournament last season.
- From last season, Indiana returns 91 percent of its scoring and 72 percent of its rebounding from last season.
- Seven new faces were added to the roster in the offseason, including six freshmen. It’s the largest class of freshmen in six years led by 2019 Indiana Miss Basketball Jorie Allen and Maine Gatorade Player of the Year Mackenzie Holmes.
The Hoosiers continue their homestand with Nicholls State on Sunday. Tipoff is set for 12 p.m. ET.