(IU SOCCER RELEASE)
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. – Indiana Women’s Soccer (1-1-0) travels to Murray, Ky. for a Friday afternoon meeting with the Murray State Racers (1-1-0). It is the only match of the week for the Hoosiers.
Friday’s game will be streamed live on ESPN+, which is available for a small fee.
SCOUTING THE RACERS
• Murray State dropped a double overtime heartbreaker to Xavier in the season opener. The Musketeers scored in the 110th minute for the win. The Racers bounced back to defeat Samford on the road Sunday, 2-0. Miyah Watford has already netted three goals on the season to lead Murray State. Jenna Villacres played every minute of the first two games in goal, collecting 24 saves with a 1.81 goals against average.
• In 2018, the Racers returned to the NCAA Tournament for the second consecutive year after again winning the Ohio Valley Conference tournament title.
• Friday’s game will mark the first-ever meeting between the two teams. Indiana is 3-0-1 all-time against teams in the OVC.
LAST TIME OUT
• After falling to No. 2 North Carolina in the season opener, the Hoosiers returned home to defeat UIC on Sunday afternoon, 1-0.
• The win marked the first under head coach Erwin van Bennekom.
• Junior Bethany Kopel earned the clean sheet, collecting a pair of saves.
• Three freshmen earned starts in their first two career games – Alaina Kalin, Avery Lockwood and Jaimie Tottleben. In addition, sophomore transfer Oliwia Wos has also start each of the first two contests.
NEWS AND NOTES
• Davidson earned the title of team captain for the season.
• Kopel now has 10.0 shutouts in her career, good for seventh all-time in program history. Her 15 career wins is also seventh in the record books while her 195 saves is fifth.
• Five of Indiana’s 2019 opponents were ranked or receiving votes in this week’s United Soccer Coaches Poll.
• Next week, the Hoosiers travel to Louisville on Thursday before returning home for a Sunday meeting against Morehead State.