Wide receiver DEEBO SAMUEL of the San Francisco 49ers, linebacker MICAH PARSONS of the Dallas Cowboys and kicker ZANE GONZALEZ of the Carolina Panthers are the NFC Offensive, Defensive and Special Teams Players of the Week for games played in Week 8 (October 28, October 31-November 1).
OFFENSE: WR DEEBO SAMUEL, SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS
- Samuel recorded six catches for 171 yards (28.5 avg.) in San Francisco’s 33-22 victory at Chicago, the most receiving yards by any player in Week 8.
- This is the first Offensive Player of the Week award for Samuel and he becomes the first 49ers wide receiver to earn the honor since Anquan Boldin (Week 1, 2013).
- Samuel is the first former South Carolina player to win Offensive Player of the Week since wide receiver Sidney Rice (Week 10, 2009).
DEFENSE: LB MICAH PARSONS, DALLAS COWBOYS
- Parsons registered 11 tackles, including four tackles for loss, in Dallas’ 20-16 Sunday Night Football victory at Minnesota. His four tackles for loss were tied for the most in the league in Week 8 and are tied for the most by a rookie in any game this season.
- He becomes the first Cowboys linebacker to win Defensive Player of the Week since Leighton Vander Esch (Week 10, 2018) and he joins Vander Esch, Sean Lee (Week 13, 2010) and DeMarcus Ware (Week 16, 2005) as the only Dallas rookie linebackers to earn the honor.
- Parsons is the seventh former Penn State linebacker to win Defensive Player of the Week and joins Odafe Oweh (Week 2, 2021) and Sean Lee (Week 13, 2010) as the only rookies to do so.
- He becomes the third rookie to win Defensive Player of the Week this season, joining Oweh (Week 2) and Buffalo defensive end Greg Rousseau (Week 5).
SPECIAL TEAMS: K ZANE GONZALEZ, CAROLINA PANTHERS
- Gonzalez converted all four of his field goals – from 23, 29, 51 and 57 yards – and his only point after attempt for a total of 13 points in the Panthers’ 19-13 victory over Atlanta.
- This is the first Special Teams Player of the Week Award for Gonzalez and he becomes the first Carolina kicker to earn the honor since Joey Slye (Week 4, 2019).
- He becomes the first former Arizona State kicker to win Special Teams Player of the Week.
Quarterback MIKE WHITE of the New York Jets, defensive back ADRIAN PHILLIPS of the New England Patriots and kicker RANDY BULLOCK of the Tennessee Titans are the AFC Offensive, Defensive and Special Teams Players of the Week for games played in Week 8 (October 28, October 31-November 1).
OFFENSE: QB MIKE WHITE, NEW YORK JETS
- In his first career start, White completed 37 of 45 pass attempts (82.2 percent) for 405 yards and three touchdowns in the Jets’ 34-31 comeback win over Cincinnati.
- It marked the most-ever completions by a player in his first career start and he joined Cam Newton (422 yards on September 11, 2011) as the only quarterbacks since 1950 to pass for at least 400 yards in their first career start.
- He becomes the 11th different Jets quarterback to earn the honor and the first since Sam Darnold (Week 6, 2019).
- White joins running back/punt returner Bobby Rainey (Week 11, 2013 and Week 5, 2015) as the only former Western Kentucky players to win a Player of the Week award.
DEFENSE: DB ADRIAN PHILLIPS, NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
- In New England’s 27-24 victory over the Chargers, Phillips recorded three tackles and a career-high two interceptions, including a 26-yard interception return for a touchdown in the fourth quarter to give the Patriots the lead.
- This is the first Defensive Player of the Week award for Phillips. He becomes the first New England defensive back to earn the honor since James Sanders (Week 10, 2010).
- Phillips is the first former Texas Longhorns defensive back to win Defensive Player of the Week since Earl Thomas (Week 5, 2017).
SPECIAL TEAMS: K RANDY BULLOCK, TENNESSEE TITANS
- In Tennessee’s comeback victory over Indianapolis, Bullock converted both of his field goal attempts – a 46-yarder to tie the game in the fourth quarter and a 44-yard game-winner in overtime – and all four of his point after attempts.
- This is the second Special Teams Player of the Week award for Bullock (Week 16, 2014 with Houston).
- He becomes the seventh different Titans kicker to earn the honor and first since Stephen Gostkowski (Week 3, 2020).