NFL PREVIEW: CLEVELAND BROWNS (8-3) AT TENNESSEE TITANS (8-3)
WEEK 13 // SUNDAY, DEC. 6, 2020 // 1:00 PM ET // NISSAN STADIUM // REFEREE: CLETE BLAKEMAN
REGULAR SEASON HISTORY:
LEADER: Browns lead all-time series, 35-31
STREAKS: Titans have won past 3
LAST GAME: 9/8/19: Browns 13 at Titans 43
LAST GAME AT SITE: 10/16/16: Titans 28, Browns 26
QB BAKER MAYFIELD completed 19 of 29 passes (65.5 pct.) for 258 yards & 2 TDs vs. 0 INTs for 116.7 rating last week. Aims for 5th in row with 0 INTs. Passed for 285 yards in last meeting. Has 2 TD passes in 2 of his past 3 vs. AFC South. Has 2+ TD passes & 100+ rating in 3 of his past 4 on road. • RB NICK CHUBB had season-high 176 scrimmage yards (144 rush, 32 rec.) & rush TD last week. Aims for 4th in row with 110+ rush yards. Has rush TD in 2 of past 3. Rushed for 75 yards in last meeting. Has 459 scrimmage yards (114.8 per game) & 3 rush TDs in 4 career games vs. AFC South. RB KAREEM HUNT rushed for 62 yards last week. Has 60+ rush yards in 4 of past 5. Has 90+ scrimmage yards in 4 of 5 career games vs. AFC South. Chubb (719) & Hunt (706) only pair of teammates each with 700+ rush yards this season. • WR JARVIS LANDRY set season highs in catches (8) & rec. yards (143) & had 1st TD catch of season last week. Had 67 rec. yards in last meeting. Aims for 3rd in row on road with 5+ catches. TE AUSTIN HOOPER had 2nd TD catch of season in Week 12. Had 9 catches for career-high 130 yards in only career game vs. Ten. (9/29/19 with Atl.). Has TD catch in 2 of his past 3 on road. • DE MYLES GARRETT had 2 sacks in last meeting. Aims for his 3rd in row vs. Ten. with sack. Aims for his 4th in row on road with sack. Ranks tied-2nd in NFL with 9.5 sacks. DT LARRY OGUNJOBI had sack in last meeting. LB B.J. GOODSON had 6 tackles & PD last week. Had 9 tackles, TFL & PD in only career game vs. Ten. (12/16/18 with NYG). Aims for 3rd in row on road with 6+ tackles & PD. CB TERRANCE MITCHELL had 6 tackles & TFL last week.
QB RYAN TANNEHILL passed for 221 yards & TD vs. 0 INTs for 108.3 rating & rushed for TD last week. Aims for 3rd in row with 215+ pass yards & 100+ rating. Passed for 319 yards & 3 TDs vs. 2 INTs for 93.9 rating in his last start vs. Cle. (9/25/16 with Mia.). Aims for his 4th in row vs. AFC North with 2+ TD passes & 90+ rating. Has 17 TDs (16 pass, 1 rush) vs. INT for 117.7 rating in 6 home games this season. • RB DERRICK HENRY rushed for 178 yards & season-high 3 TDs last week, becoming 4th player in NFL history with 3 games with 175+ rush yards & 3+ rush TDs in 1st 5 seasons. Aims for 4th in row with 100+ rush yards & 3rd in row with rush TD. Had 159 scrimmage yards (84 rush, 75 rec.) & 2 TDs (1 rush, 1 rec.) in last meeting. Aims for his 5th in row vs. AFC North with 75+ rush yards & rush TD. Leads NFL with 1,257 rush yards. • WR A.J. BROWN had 4 catches for 98 yards & TD last week. Aims for 3rd in row with 60+ rec. yards & rec. TD. Had 100 rec. yards in last meeting. Aims for 4th in row vs. AFC North with TD catch. Has rec. TD in 4 of his past 5 at home. WR COREY DAVIS aims for 3rd in row with 70+ rec. yards. Aims for his 3rd in row vs. AFC North with 110+ rec. yards. • S KEVIN BYARD aims for 6th in row with 7+ tackles. Has 4 INTs in his past 2 vs. Cle. CB MALCOLM BUTLER had 38-yard INT-TD in last meeting. Aims for his 3rd in row at home with PD. CB BREON BORDERS had 1st-career INT last week. Aims for 3rd in row with PD. LB HAROLD LANDRY aims for 5th in row with TFL & 3rd in row with sack. DT JEFFERY SIMMONS had sack & PD in Week 12. Aims for his 4th in row at home with PD.
- The Titans are 10-5 against Cleveland since the Browns franchise came back in 1999, and they have won the last three meetings. Last season’s 43-13 Tennessee win in Week 1 was the largest by either team in the series since the Oilers set a franchise record with 58 points in a 58-14 victory on December 9, 1990.
- Cleveland’s 8-3 start is its best since 1994, when the Browns started 9-3 under Bill Belichick and went on to win a playoff game, the franchise’s last playoff win. Cleveland’s win last week put an end to the team’s 12-year streak of losing seasons, tied with the 1967-78 Saints for the second-longest streak all-time (1983-96 Buccaneers, 14).
- Tennessee is coming off a 45-26 win at Indianapolis, the Titans’ most points in a game since 2016 vs. Green Bay (47) and their most in a road game since 2008 at Detroit (47). Tennessee’s 29.5 points per game this season rank second through 11 games in franchise history, behind only the 1961 Oilers (35.0).
- Baker Mayfield is the first Browns quarterback to win three straight starts without throwing an interception in any of them since Vinny Testaverde in September 1995. The last Browns QB with four straight was Frank Ryan in 1967.
- Ryan Tannehill attempted just 22 passes in last week’s win in Indianapolis, but he set a season high with 10.05 yards per attempt. Tannehill is 15-6 in his 21 starts for the Titans, second best through 21 QB starts with the franchise behind George Blanda (16-5), who did so in the franchise’s first 21 games (1960-61).
- Nick Chubb will be playing his 40th career game on Sunday. Chubb’s 5.30 career yards per carry would be the highest average all-time through 40 games by a player with at least 3000 rushing yards, surpassing Jim Brown’s 5.15.
ON THE AIRWAVES TV: CBS (1:00 PM ET): Ian Eagle, Charles Davis, Evan Washburn (field reporter) SIRIUS: 134 (Cle), 137 (Ten) | XM: 383 (Cle), 228 (Ten)