NFL PREVIEW: DETROIT LIONS (0-1) AT GREEN BAY PACKERS (1-0)
WEEK 2 // SUNDAY, SEPT. 20, 2020 // 1:00 PM ET // LAMBEAU FIELD // REFEREE: CLETE BLAKEMAN
REGULAR SEASON HISTORY:
LEADER: Packers lead all-time series, 100-72-7
STREAKS: Packers have won past 2
LAST GAME: 12/29/19: Packers 23 at Lions 20
LAST GAME AT SITE: 10/14/19: Packers 23, Lions 22
QB MATTHEW STAFFORD passed for 297 yards & TD vs. INT for 77.2 rating in Week 1. Passed for 1,257 yards (314.3 per game) & 7 TDs vs. INT for 99.2 rating in 4 road starts in 2019. Has 2+ TD passes in 9 of his past 10 starts vs. GB. Has 100+ rating in 4 of his past 5 starts vs. GB. • RB ADRIAN PETERSON had 114 scrimmage yards (93 rush, 21 rec.) in Det. debut last week. In 19 career games vs. GB, has 1,975 rush yards & 16 rush TDs, both most vs. any opponent. Aims for his 9th in row at GB with rush TD. Rookie RB D’ANDRE SWIFT had 1st career rush TD in Week 1. • WR KENNY GOLLADAY has 14 receptions for 371 yards (92.8 per game) & 2 rec. TDs in 4 career games vs. GB. Has TD catch in 3 of his past 4 vs. NFC North. WR DANNY AMENDOLA had 5 receptions for team-high 81 yards last week. WR MARVIN JONES had 55 rec. yards in Week 1. Has 7 rec. TDs in 7 career games vs. GB. Has 329 rec. yards (109.7 per game) & 4 rec. TDs in 3 career games at GB. TE T.J. HOCKENSON had 5 receptions for 56 yards & TD catch last week. • DE TREY FLOWERS had 6 tackles, sack & FF in Week 1. Has sack in 3 of his past 4 on road. Has sack in 4 of his past 5 vs. NFC North. LB JAMIE COLLINS had 13 tackles, sack & FF in his only career game vs. GB (11/30/14 w/ NE). DB TRACY WALKER led team with 7 tackles & had 2 TFL & PD last week. Aims for his 3rd in row vs. GB with PD. CB DESMOND TRUFANT has 3 TFL, 2 PD, INT & FR in 5 career games vs. GB.
QB AARON RODGERS passed for 364 yards & 4 TDs vs. 0 INTs for 127.5 rating in Week 1, his 16th career game with 300+ pass yards & 4+ TD passes, tied-4th most in NFL history. Has 47,310 career pass yards & surpassed HOFer FRAN TARKENTON (47,003) for 12th-most in NFL history. Has 41 TDs vs. 8 INTs for 104.7 rating in 20 career starts vs. Det. Has 2+ TD passes in 4 of his past 5 home starts vs. Det. • RB AARON JONES rushed for 66 yards & TD last week. Had 143 scrimmage yards (100 rush, 43 rec.) in last meeting. Had 11 scrimmage TDs (10 rush, 1 rec.) in 8 home games in 2019 & aims for his 5th in row at home with TD. • WR DAVANTE ADAMS had career-high 14 receptions for 156 yards & 2 TDs in Week 1, his 9th career game with 2+ TD catches. Has 6 rec. TDs in his past 6 vs. Det. Aims for his 3rd in row vs. Det. with 90+ rec. yards & TD catch. WR MARQUEZ VALDES-SCANTLING had 96 rec. yards & TD catch last week. WR ALLEN LAZARD had rec. TD in Week 1. • LB ZA’DARIUS SMITH had sack last week. Had sack vs. Det. in last home meeting. Has 6.5 sacks in 7 games vs. NFC North w/ GB. LB PRESTON SMITH has 2.5 sacks in 3 career games vs. Det. LB CHRISTIAN KIRKSEY led team with 12 tackles in GB debut in Week 1, his 13th career game with 10+ tackles. CB JAIRE ALEXANDER had sack, INT & recorded a safety last week, 1st player with sack, INT & safety in same game since CALAIS CAMPBELL (2016).
- Green Bay won both meetings with Detroit last season, capping fourth-quarter comebacks with a Mason Crosby field goal as time expired in both wins — 23-22 at home in Week 6 and 23-20 in Detroit in Week 17. The Lions had won the previous four games in the series.
- Green Bay won at Minnesota last week, 43-34 — its most points scored all-time in a season opener. The Packers’ 522 net yards were their second most ever in a divisional road game, behind their 569 yards at Tampa Bay in 1980.
- Detroit was outscored 21-0 in the fourth quarter last week against the Bears, turning a 23-6 lead into a 27-23 loss. It was the Lions’ largest fourth-quarter blown lead in a loss since also blowing a 17-point advantage against the Bears in Week 5 of the 1988 season (led 27-10, lost 31-27).
- Matthew Stafford made his 150th career start last week, with a career record of 69-80-1. He has more attempts (5,738), completions (3,583) and yards (41,322) through 150 starts than any QB in NFL history; his 257 passing touchdowns rank eighth through 150 starts (Aaron Rodgers is first with 327).
- Aaron Rodgers passed for 364 yards, four touchdowns and no interceptions last week against Minnesota. It was his 19th career game with at least 4 TD and no picks, third most all-time behind Drew Brees (25) and Tom Brady (23).
- Green Bay has won seven straight home openers since a 30-22 setback versus the 49ers in 2012. That’s the second-longest active streak of its kind, behind the Seahawks (11 straight).
ON THE AIRWAVES TV: FOX (1:00 PM ET): Chris Myers, Greg Jennings, Brock Huard, Jennifer Hale (field reporter) SIRIUS: 111 (Det), 81 (GB) | XM: 381 (Det), 226 (GB)