· Purdue at Maryland
· Tuesday, February 2, 2021
· 6:30 p.m. ET
· BTN (Dave Revsine, Jess Settles)
· College Park, Maryland (XFinity Center)
WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. – The No. 24-ranked Purdue men’s basketball team looks for its fourth Big Ten road win in a row on Tuesday when it visits Maryland for a 6:30 p.m. ET, tip on the Big Ten Network. Dave Revsine, who called the Purdue game on Saturday from a secluded island location, has begrudingly returned to the snowy Midwest and will call the game with former Iowa standout Jess Settles.
The Boilermakers are coming off perhaps their best half of the year in the win over No. 21-ranked Minnesota on Saturday. The Boilermakers outscored Minnesota 51-27 in the second half to cruise to the 19-point win, and look to continue that momentum at Maryland.
THE KEY TALKING POINTS
1) Purdue leads the series with Maryland by a 6-4 advantage, but has lost two straight games at the XFinity Center. Including Tuesday’s tilt, one of the teams has been ranked in nine of the 11 meetings between the two squads.
2) According to KenPom.com, Purdue ranks 329th (out of 347 teams) in experience (1.06 years). The total is 14th in the Big Ten. Indiana is the next least-experienced team in the league at 1.36 years (285th nationally).
3) Purdue has had its full arsenal of rotation players for just 10 of its 18 games this year, missing key personnel for seven games this year. Purdue went 7-3 in those 10 games, all coming against power-conference teams. Purdue will be without Sasha Stefanovic vs. Maryland.
4) Tuesday’s contest will be the 300th conference game that Matt Painter will coach in (18 at Southern Illinois; 281 at Purdue). He owns a 191-108 (.639) record in league games. He has finished in the top 3 of the league standings in 10 of his 16 completed seasons.
5) With the win over Minnesota, Matt Painter has tied Illinois’ Harry Combes for eighth on the all-time Big Ten wins list with 174 league wins.
6) Four freshmen have earned Big Ten Freshman of the Week honors, the most in league history. Michigan (2012-13) and Ohio St. (2010-11) had 3.
7) Brandon Newman was named the Big Ten’s Freshman of the Week for the second time this season, now 1-of-2 freshmen with multiple awards.
8) With Purdue entering the AP Top 25 this week, the Boilermakers have been nationally-ranked in six straight seasons, the longest streak in school history. Since the start of the 2015-16 season, Purdue has been ranked in 71-of-110 Associated Press top-25 polls.
9) Purdue owns two wins over teams ranked in this week’s AP Top 10 — one of four schools with multiple top-10 victories (Minn, Texas Tech, Oklahoma).
10) Over the last five years since the start of the 2016-17 season, Purdue has the most wins in the Big Ten (61). Michigan State is next at 58.
11) With the win over Minnesota, Purdue has won 20 straight games when scoring at least 80 points; 42-2 since the start of the 2017-18 season.