WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. – Purdue heads to the Sunshine State for the second time this season as it travels to Miami to face the Hurricanes in the ACC / Big Ten Challenge on Tuesday night. Purdue will be making its 20th appearance in the Challenge, owning a Big Ten-best 11-8 record in the event.
Purdue is coming off a tough 68-61 victory over Valparaiso on Friday night after rallying from an 11-point halftime deficit to earn its third win of the season. The Boilermakers now enter the teeth of their schedule, facing Miami, Indiana State, Ohio State in the Big Ten opener, Notre Dame in the Crossroads Classic, at Iowa and Maryland all before Christmas Day.
THE KEY TALKING POINTS
1) Purdue has started at least 3-1 in 13 of the 16 seasons that Matt Painter has been in charge of the Boilermakers (2005-06, 2012-13, 2019-20).
2) Purdue owns a league-best 11-8 record in the ACC / Big Ten Challenge. The Boilermakers have won nine of the their last 11 Challenge games.
3) Purdue is one of the top 3-point shooting teams in America, ranking 17th in 3-point percentage (.436) and 29th in 3-pointers per game (10.3).
4) The Boilermakers have dominant rebounders on the both ends of the floor. Trevion Williams ranks fourth nationally in defensive rebounding percentage (.430), while Zach Edey is eighth nationally in offensive rebounding percentage (.202).
5) Emmanuel Dowuona will return to where he played his high school ball this week. Dowuona played at Westwood Christian High School, graduating in 2018. Dowuona is originally from Accra, Ghana.
6) Zach Edey (13.8 PPG) and Brandon Newman (12.0 PPG) rank 4th and 5th among Big Ten freshmen in scoring average. Jaden Ivey is also 5th.
7) Purdue has held its opponents to just 25 offensive rebounds and 18 second-chance points in four games this year.
8) Purdue’s junior class is averaging 39.0 points per game over the last two games, shooting 26-of-58 (.448) from the field in that span.
9) After averaging 19.0 turnovers per game in the first two outings of the season, Purdue has averaged just 10.5 turnovers over the last two games and owns an assist / turnover ratio of 1.90 (40 / 21) in that span.
10) Purdue is 43-1 since the start of the 2017-18 season when shooting at least 48 percent from the field (Virginia; 2019 Elite Eight).
11) Purdue has won 102 straight games when scoring at least 90 points, spanning over 33 years (last loss: Nov. 24, 1987, to Iowa State).
12) Trevion Williams has had at least 11 rebounds in three of four games this year.
13) Sasha Stefanovic has made at least four 3-pointers nine times during his career. Purdue is 7-2 when he reaches that mark.
14) When Aaron Wheeler scores at least 10 points in his career, Purdue is 8-1. When Stefanovic reaches 10 points, Purdue is 11-4.