Purdue Returns to Big Ten Play at No. 4 Iowa
WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. – The Purdue men’s basketball enters Big Ten play on a high note and looks to keep momentum going as it travels to No. 4-ranked Iowa to kick off a grueling stretch for the Boilermakers. Tip is scheduled Tuesday at 9 p.m. ET, on the Big Ten Network from Carver-Hawkeye Arena.
Purdue enters one of the most-difficult stretches for any team in college basketball on Tuesday night. Five of Purdue’s next seven games are on the road against teams ranked Nos. 4, 11, 18 and No. 12 and a team that is receiving votes that is considered a fierce rival. The matchup with Iowa on Tuesday marks the highest-ranked opponent for Purdue in a road game since Feb. 10, 2018, at No. 4-ranked Michigan State.
THE MAIN TALKING POINTS
1) A win over Iowa would give Purdue its longest winning streak (4) since Feb. 16 to March 2, 2019 (5 games).
2) Head coach Matt Painter won his 50th game against a nationally-ranked team last Wednesday against Ohio State. He is 50-83 against ranked teams, including a 20-19 record since the start of the 2016-17 season. Of his 50 wins against ranked teams, 20 have come in the last 4+ seasons.
3) According to KenPom.com, Purdue ranks 306th in experience (1.09 years). Indiana is the next least-experienced team in the Big Ten (1.29).
4) In its six wins, Purdue is shooting 50.1 percent from the field and has an assist-to-turnover ratio of 1.51 (118 / 78). In its two losses, Purdue is shooting just 39.8 percent from the field, has attempted 21 free throws and has an assist-to-turnover ratio of 0.61 (22 / 36).
5) Purdue’s junior class is averaging 54.3 points per game over the last three contests, accounting for 69.4 percent of Purdue’s scoring.
6) Trevion Williams is averaging 20.0 points, 9.0 rebounds and 4.0 assists per game over the last three games, shooting 26-of-42 (.619) from the field.
7) Mason Gillis was named the Big Ten’s freshman of the week (9.0 PPG, 4.5 RPG, 7-7 FGs, 2-2 3Ps, 2-2 FTs).
8) In the first four weeks of the season, Purdue has had two different players earn Big Ten Freshman of the Week honors (Nov. 30 – Zach Edey). It marks just the second time ever that Purdue has had two different players earn FOW honors (2012-13; Rapheal Davis, A.J. Hammons).
9) Purdue is 33-7 (.825) in the month of December since the 2015-16 season.
10) Purdue is 44-1 since the start of the 2017-18 season when shooting at least 48 percent from the field (Virginia; 2019 Elite Eight).
11) Purdue has won 102 straight games when scoring at least 90 points, spanning over 33 years (last loss: Nov. 24, 1987, to Iowa State).
12) Sasha Stefanovic has made at least four 3-pointers 10 times during his career. Purdue is 8-2 when he reaches that mark.
13) When Eric Hunter Jr. leads the team in assists during his career, Purdue is 12-3; when Aaron Wheeler scores 10+ points, Purdue is 9-1.