CHARLESTON (July 11, 2018) - Indy Eleven fall to Charleston Battery in first away
match-up of July, 2-1. Indy forward Eugene Starikov brought the Circle City side
level, but couldn't fend off a brace from Charleston forward Gordon Wild.

It remained an even contest between both teams in opening minutes of the first-half.
Charleston's attacking efforts saw numerous crosses played into Eleven goalkeeper
Owain Fon Williams' box, but each ball was quickly batted up field or out of play.
Indy attempted to ask similar questions, only to get a similar response from Battery
keeper Odinsel Cooper.

The Battery claimed the upper hand after Wild netted his first of two goals in the
22nd minute. Battery midfielder Nick Rittmeyer made a short run along the right edge
of the pitch in Indy's half before he laid the play off to Wild. With Indy
midfielders Juan Guerra and Tyler Pasher closing in from behind, Wild found his mark
from over 20 yards out. The shot made its way over defender Karl Ouimette and into
the upper-left corner of the goal, just out of Fon Williams' reach.

A corner kick in the 30th minute from Eleven defender Ayoze nearly led to Indy's
equalizer. The square pass found defender Carlyle Mitchell's head at the top of the
six-yard box. A lucky save from Cooper narrowly kept the ball from crossing the

“Ultimately, I think both sides played pretty even in the first half,” said Indy
Eleven head coach Martin Rennie. “It was really hot, so that affected both teams a
little bit. The reality is that Charleston scored a great first goal from distance
and we came close to scoring in the 30th minute.”

The halftime break seemed to be just what “Indiana's Team” needed.

Indy found the leveling-goal 12 minutes into the second half. A through pass from
Eleven forward Ben Speas rolled between Charleston's backline to striking partner
Starikov. The Ukrainian took one touch to chip over Cooper as the keeper came way
off his mark to send the ball bouncing into the back of the net in the 57th minute.

Indy's continued pressure came close to another goal for the visiting side. An
angled shot from second-half substitute Soony Saad took a favorable deflection off
Cooper's leg and back to the Eleven forward's feet. Another shot on frame looked all
but in, until Battery defender Taylor Mueller's quick actions kept the goal line

Both sides continued to fight for a goal, but it was the Battery that would
ultimately find the match winner in the 84th minute. A pass from forward Jarad van
Schaik from centerfield connected with Wild as he ran toward the upper-left corner
of Indy's 18-yard box. Eleven defender Seth Moses attempted to take on Wild
one-on-one, but the striker managed to edge around to put a left-footed shot between
the posts. Wild's second goal of the evening made for his sixth overall in 2018.

Wild made one last attempt to complete a hat trick in the 94th minute, but Fon
Williams kept the low shot from getting past his tall frame.

“I was very pleased with the way that we played,” Rennie said. “We played much
better in the second half. We had a lot of really good chances at goal and we looked
dangerous. We showed a lot of hunger and energy, but overall, we over-committed and
got punished for it. We have to learn from our mistakes.”

The “Boys in Blue” are on road for the remainder of July. Indy Eleven will take to
the pitch once more on Saturday, July 21 at 7:00 p.m., to take on the Tampa Bay
Rowdies. “Indiana's Team” will return to Lucas Oil Stadium on Wednesday, August 15
to take on North Carolina FC for Networking Night. Fans can get tickets by visiting