THIS WEEK IN BIG 10 MEN’S BASKETBALL
- Big Ten play continues Tuesday evening with #17/17 Maryland traveling to Northwestern for a 7 p.m. ET tip on FS1. RV/- Purdue welcomes #21/22 Illinois at 7 p.m. ET on ESPNU and RV/RV Wisconsin hosts Nebraska at 9 p.m. ET on BTN.
• The Big Ten leads the nation with 12 teams listed in the top 50 of the NCAA NET Rankings – double the amount of the next conference: Michigan State (No. 8), Maryland (No. 15), Rutgers (No. 18), Ohio State (No. 19), Wisconsin (No. 22), Iowa (No. 26), Michigan (No. 29), Penn State (No. 35), Purdue (No. 36), Illinois (No. 40), Minnesota (No. 41) and Indiana (No. 49).
• Overall, 11 Big Ten programs are ranked or receiving votes in a poll this week: Michigan State (No. 11 Associated Press/No. 9 USA Today Coaches), Maryland (No. 17/17), Iowa (No. 19/19), Illinois (No. 21/22) and Rutgers (No. 24/25). This week marks the sixth week in a row at least five Big Ten teams have been ranked in the Top 25. Additionally, Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin, Purdue and Indiana are among others receiving votes in one of the polls.
• Rutgers (14-4, 5-2) received its first national ranking in 41 years on Monday. The Scarlet Knights are listed No. 24 in the Associated Press Poll and No. 25 in the USA Today Coaches Poll, marking the first week Rutgers has been nationally ranked since placing 18th in the final AP Poll of the 1978-79 season. Rutgers is off to its best home start (13-0) in program history and is currently tied for second in Big Ten standings.
• Michigan State’s Cassius Winston became the Big Ten’s all-time leader in assists on Friday, Jan. 17 in a 67-55 win versus Wisconsin. The senior guard tallied four assists, giving him 817 for his career and breaking the all-time record of 816, previously held by Mateen Cleaves.
• Big Ten home teams hold a 41-7 conference record for an .854 winning percentage. Wisconsin has two of the seven road wins: at Ohio State (Jan. 3), at Penn State (Jan. 11). The remaining five are: Michigan State at Northwestern (Dec. 18), Rutgers at Nebraska (Jan. 3), Illinois at Wisconsin (Jan. 8), Iowa at Northwestern (Jan. 14) and Indiana at Nebraska (Jan. 18).
• Iowa’s Luka Garza was named Big Ten Player of the Week after averaging 30 points, five rebounds, and 1.5 blocks in a pair of victories over Northwestern and No. 19 Michigan. The junior poured in 33 points, bolstered by a career-high 11 free-throws made, in a seven-point triumph over the Wolverines. Garza now has four 30+ scoring games this year, the most by a Hawkeye since Peter Jok (5) in 2017, ranks fourth nationally and most by any player from a Power 5 conference this year.
• The Big Ten won eight of the 14 matchups in the 21st annual Big Ten/ACC Challenge this season including Purdue’s 69-40 win over No. 5/2 Virginia, the defending NCAA Champion. It marked the sixth time the Big Ten captured the Challenge, and first since 2015. Overall, the ACC has won 12 times and the Challenge has been tied three times, including last season. The Big Ten also won the Gavitt Tipoff Games, 5-3, in eight contests vs. the Big East.
• Tickets are on sale for the fifth annual “Super Saturday – College Hoops & Wrestling” doubleheader, which will feature Michigan and Rutgers in both men’s basketball and wrestling on Saturday, Feb. 1, 2020. The wresting event will start at 1 p.m. ET and the men’s basketball game will tip-off at 4:30 p.m. ET. Tickets can be purchased through Ticketmaster (ticketmaster.com), by calling (866) 858-0008 or at MSG.com.
• All 14 Big Ten teams will play one conference home game and one road contest between Dec. 6 and Dec. 18. Big Ten teams will compete in a 20-game conference schedule for the second time, playing seven teams both home and away and six teams once (three home and three away).
Tue., Jan. 21
*#17/17 Maryland at Northwestern …………..7 p.m. FS1
*#21/22 Illinois at RV/- Purdue …………………7 p.m. ESPNU
*Nebraska at RV/RV Wisconsin……………….9 p.m. BTN
Wed., Jan. 22
*RV/RV Penn State at RV/RV Michigan …….7 p.m. BTN
*#24/25 Rutgers at #19/19 Iowa……………….9 p.m. BTN
Thu., Jan. 23
*Minnesota at RV/RV Ohio State…………6:30 p.m. FS1
*#11/9 Michigan State at RV/RV Indiana …8:30 p.m. FS1
Fri., Jan. 24
*RV/RV Wisconsin at RV/- Purdue ……………7 p.m. FS1
Sat., Jan. 25
*#21/22 Illinois at RV/RV Michigan……………. Noon FS1
*Nebraska at #24/25 Rutgers ………………….2 p.m. BTN
Sun., Jan. 26
*#17/17 Maryland at RV/RV Indiana………….1 p.m. CBS
*#11/9 Michigan State at Minnesota …………3 p.m. FOX
*RV/RV Ohio State at Northwestern …….6:30 p.m. BTN
Mon., Jan. 27
*RV/RV Wisconsin at #19/19 Iowa ……….8:30 p.m. BTN
Tue., Jan. 28
*RV/RV Michigan at Nebraska…………………. 7 p.m.ESPN/2/U
*RV/- Purdue at #24/25 Rutgers……………….8 p.m. BTN
Wed., Jan. 29
*Northwestern at #11/9 Michigan State…6:30 p.m. BTN
*RV/RV Indiana at RV/RV Penn State…..8:30 p.m. BTN
Thu., Jan. 30
*Minnesota at #21/22 Illinois ………………7:30 p.m. FS1
*#19/19 Iowa at #17/17 Maryland…………8:30 p.m. BTN