BLOOMINGTON, Ind. – The Indiana University baseball team defeated Minnesota, 9-3, in game one of a doubleheader at Bart Kaufman Field in Bloomington, Ind. on Friday, April 23, 2021.
With the victory, the Hoosiers improve to 15-8 on the season overall and in Big Ten play. The Golden Gophers fall to 4-21 on the year and in league action.
• The Hoosiers jumped out to an early lead with a three-run bottom of the second inning. After an RBI single from OF Drew Ashley, OF Grant Richardson plated two more with a two-run double to right-center field to give IU a 3-0 advantage.
• After Minnesota responded with a pair of runs in the top of the fourth, IU answered right back. With two outs and runners on second and third base in the bottom of the frame, OF Morgan Colopy lined a two-run single to left field.
• Indiana would add another run after an error and a wild pitch, pushing the lead to 6-2 after four full.
• Ashley did more damage in the fifth, missing a three-run homer by inches as he doubled home two more with a shot off the wall in center field. After five innings, IU led the Golden Gophers, 8-2.
• LHP Tommy Sommer (5-1) was outstanding for the Hoosiers, tossing 6.2 innings while allowing three runs to earn the win. The lefty struck out 11 batters and surrendered just five hits.
• In his first pitching appearance for the Hoosiers, RHP Grant Macciochi tossed 2.1 shutout innings. He didn’t allow a hit while striking out three.
• Richardson’s three stolen bases are the most for a Hoosier since Matt Gorski swiped three at Illinois on May 5, 2019.
• Every Hoosier batter reached base safely at least once in the game.
• Indiana drew a season-high 12 walks.
• DH Tyler Van Pelt drew four walks, the most for a Hoosiers since Jordan Fucci drew four against San Diego on March 8, 2020.
• The Indiana Hoosiers will play game two of the team’s doubleheader with Minnesota on Friday, April 23 at Bart Kaufman Field in Bloomington, Ind.