EVANSTON, Ill. – The Indiana University baseball team fell to a late Northwestern rally, 8-5, on Saturday afternoon at Miller Park in Evanston, Ill.
With the loss, the Hoosiers fall to 14-8 on the season overall and in Big Ten conference play. The Wildcats move to 12-11 on the year and in league action.
• Trailing 4-0 after three innings, the Hoosiers cut the lead in half with one swing off the bat of DH Tyler Van Pelt. With a runner, on Van Pelt blasted the first pitch he saw over the fence in right field for a two-run shot.
• IU played long-ball again in the fifth, as INF Cole Barr smashed a two-run homer deep over the left-field fence. Barr’s team-leading fourth homer of the year tied the game at 4-4.
• With the game still tied in the top of the eighth, OF Drew Ashley came through with a clutch, two-out RBI single to give IU the lead. With Van Pelt on third base after a double and a sac bunt, Ashley blooped a 3-2 offering in to left to plate the go-ahead run.
• The lead was short-lived, however, as Northwestern rallied and scored four times in the bottom of the frame to take an 8-5 lead into the ninth inning.
• IU was unable to mount a rally in the ninth, going down in order.
• Van Pelt’s home run was the first of his career. He finished the day 3-for-4 with a homer, a double and two runs scored.
• RHP McCade Brown pitched 4.1 innings for the Hoosiers, allowing four runs, two earned, while striking out five.
• RHP Braydon Tucker (0-1) took the loss after tossing three innings. He allowed four runs, three earned, while notching a pair of strikeouts.
• RHP John Modugno pitched 0.2 innings of relief, allowing one hit while striking out two.
• The Hoosiers and Wildcats will continue their three-game, Big Ten series in Evanston, Ill. at Miller Park on Sunday, April 18. First pitched is scheduled for 1:00 p.m. ET.