OMAHA – TCU used a four run fifth inning to build a comfortable lead and rode it to a 6-1 victory over Oral Roberts on Tuesday afternoon at the College World Series. TCU’s win eliminates the Golden Eagles. The bullpen duo of Hunter Hodges and Cohen Feser combined to toss 4 1/3 scoreless innings to lock up the victory.
The pitching quartet of Cam Brown, Luke Savage (6-4), Hunter Hodges and Cohen Feser held one of the nation’s top offensive teams to one run on seven hits.
The offense did its part, picking up six runs on 11 hits. The Horned Frogs jumped out to a 1-0 lead in the second on an Austin Davis two out bases loaded walk.
Oral Roberts threatened to tie the game after a pair of walks to open the third. With two in scoring position and one out, Brown got a shallow fly ball and a strikeout looking on a 3-2 pitch to end the inning.
TCU was gifted another run in the fourth on a balk call. Kurtis Byrne singled with one out and moved to third on a two out double from Logan Maxwell. A balk call allowed Byrne to cross the plate for a 2-0 lead.
The Frogs broke the game open in the fifth with four runs on four hits and a walk. Elijah Nunez led off the inning with a base hit. He was on third with one out after a ground out and a stolen base. Cole Fontenelle dumped a single into center for a 3-0 lead. With the bases loaded, Kurtis Byrne hit a sacrifice fly. Following a Richardson stolen base, Anthony Silva delivered a two-out, two run single for a 6-0 lead.
ORU’s lone run came in the fifth inning as it took advantage of a lead-off single. A two out single from Jonah Cox made it a 6-1 ballgame. With two outs, Hunter Hodges took over on the mound and got a strikeout to strand two runners.
Hodges tossed 2 1/3 scoreless. He allowed one hit, walked a batter and struck out two. Cohen Feser closed the game with two scoreless innings. His second strikeout of the game end the game with the bases loaded.
Stat of the Game
4 – TCU scored four times in the fourth inning to break open a close game.
• TCU is now 65-43 all-time in NCAA postseason play.
• TCU improved to 13-11 all-time at the College World Series.
• TCU has now won multiple games in the College World Series in five of its six appearances.
• TCU outhit its opponent for the 45th time this season.
• TCU tallied double-digit hits for the 34th time this season.
• TCU scored first for the 36th time this season.
• TCU played errorless baseball for the 33rd time this season.
• Elijah Nunez collected his 19th multi-hit game of the year and the 43rd of his career.
• Brayden Taylor has reached safely in 33 straight contests.
• Cole Fontenelle has reached safely in 24 straight games.
• Fontenelle extended his hitting streak to nine straight games.
• Fontenelle posted his 26th multi-RBI game and the 28th of his career.
• Kurtis Byrne collected his 12th multi-hit game of the season and the 30th of his career.
• Anthony Silva tallied his 14th career multi-RBI game.
With the win, TCU improves to 44-23 overall. The Horned Frogs have advance the bracket championship against the No. 2 National Seed Florida. TCU will need to defeat the Gators twice to advance to the National Championship series. First pitch is set for 1 p.m. The game will be televised on ESPN.